Of The Bauble - #RainbowSnippets #YA #LGBTQ

Well, I knew I hadn't taken part in Rainbow Snippets for a while, but I was horrified when I discovered the last time was August! :o

I'll leave the explanation at it's been a helluva year for all of us and move on.

This week, I'm gearing up to the 15th December release of my Christmas novella - Of The Bauble. It's a young adult humorous fantasy romance, which hopefully readers of all ages (13+) will enjoy.

Here's the blurb:
When nineteen-year-old Kieran O’Sullivan takes a trip to the attic for the Christmas decorations, it proves to be an illuminating experience.

Box includes:
- a hapless but not altogether helpless student
- a pedantic supernatural being (or two, or…well, quite a few)
- a funky older sister
- the coolest mum in the world
- a naughty rescue bunny and her easily led feline sidekick
- an insightful ex-girlfriend
- twinkle lights
- tinsel
- baubles

* Warning - may contain traces of magic and a smidgeon of social commentary (hey, it's a book by Debbie McGowan - did you expect anything else?) *

And here's the snippet:
“Let me try this.” Jinn leaned towards me, but I dodged out of the way. “You do not wish for me to kiss you, Kieran?”

“Can we clarify the semantics first? I don’t wish it.”

“Ah!” Jinn laughed. “Nor do I wish for you to wish it.”

“Besides,” I said, “it’s better in private.”

“A bench at a bus stop is private—” Jinn nodded towards my first-kiss bench and then pointed down at the pavement “—but here is not. Yes, I see.”

I felt myself blush. “It was dark,” I reasoned, which was true, and there had been no one else around to witness it.

* * * * *

Rainbow Snippets is a group for LGBTQ+ authors, readers, and bloggers to gather once a week to share six sentences from a work of fiction–a WIP or a finished work or even a 6-sentence book recommendation (no spoilers please!).

In this group you'll find anything from romance and historical fiction to mystery and YA. The common thread is that every story's main character identifies as LGBTQ+. The snippets could range from zero flames to full-on sexytimes, anything goes content-wise. The only rule is snippets will be 6 sentences long–one for each color in the Pride flag.

* * * * *

Thanks for reading,
Deb x

Comments

  1. Fun snippet. I love the clarification of semantics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, PT. It was fun writing these two - they're both a bit finickity. :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a fun story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CJane Elliot. :) I hope it is!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous3:01 am

    This was sweet and he is right to be careful with words around a Jinn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, although this jinn is maybe a little less tricky than most. :)

      Delete
  4. Very sweet. This sounds like a fun story.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LGBT Pride: A Roundtable Discussion

Fat Rage!

Reunions - Josh and George: Stating the Obvious #RainbowSnippets #LGBTQ